Re: [gNewSense-users] gobuntu or gnewsense?

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gobuntu or gnewsense?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:41:19 +0100

On 26/07/07, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:

> gNewSense could be built off a more user-friendly distribution in the
> future - Novell seems to be putting at least as much effort into the
> desktop as Canonical, and Red Hat are keeping up with the new
> competition too.

(By that last bit, I meant the GNOME Online Desktop stuff going on in
Red Hat atm, announced at the GUADEC.)

And to clarify, I don't mean to recommend Novell or diss any distro in
particular; the point of gNewSense AIUI is to be able to not recommend
_any_ other distro, because they _all_ act in a way that supports the
belief that proprietary software is okay.

My point is that gNewSense could as easily be built from OpenSUSE and
Ubuntu at the moment. With Gobuntu and a fully free Fedora 8 or 9, its
unlikely to be OpenSUSE because it would require a lot more work (of
the kind already undertaken by the gNS community to actually check
that Ubuntu Dapper main + universe _is_ 100% free software) but if
another distro is providing the best user experience, it is worth
making a fully free version of that distro, imo.

--
Regards,
Dave