[gNewSense-users] Re: APT and licences.

From: Chris Andrew
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: APT and licences.
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:49:39 +0100

Justin,

Having reviewed many licences in gNewsense, I know that the majority are GPL, but I take your point.

At least we could perhaps aim for a query using APT/ dpkg etc, such as _all packages that aren't licenced under GPL_.

This would greatly reduce the amount of checking.  It's difficult to do at the moment, as it is hard to script (due to the different licence data formats), but if it was part of a packaging structure in the future, then that should at least reduce the work load.

For example, if APT/ dpkg produced a list of all packages available to a distro, that were not GPL, then this could reduce the number of packages to be checked, by 80%.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Chris.