[gNewSense-users] I'd suggest installing VLC or illiminable codecs

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: [gNewSense-users] I'd suggest installing VLC or illiminable codecs
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:26:16 -0500

andrei raevsky wrote:
I cannot just tell
them to install an ogg plugin to whatever player they uses (probable Windows Media Player for all I know).

Perhaps they could double-click an executable file you give them. That would install either the illiminable codecs (to make Windows Media Player play free codecs) or they could run the VLC installer and install VLC (which can play Ogg Vorbis files directly).

Of course, I'd give them only one URL for the thing you would suggest they use.

I find VLC to be quite good as a general-purpose media player. But if you know they're already comfortable with WMP, the illiminable codecs will be completely invisible to them (it "just works"). I've found the latest unstable illiminable codecs to be quite good, but I list the stable in case you'd rather recommend that.

VLC (latest stable release)
http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.6c/win32/vlc-0.8.6c-win32.exe

illiminable codecs (latest stable release)
http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/oggcodecs_0.71.0946.exe

illiminable codecs (current unstable)
http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/oggcodecs_0.73.1936.exe