Re: [gNewSense-users] Problems with GUI

From: Markus Laire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problems with GUI
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:04:45 +0000

On 6/14/07, Dean Linkous <address@hidden> wrote:

After backing up your current xorg.conf file you could...

a-tweak the xorg.conf file using some options, search the net for radeon
xorg.conf to get some ideas, here is one http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon

It would take some time to learn about proper options so I'll consider
this next week...

b-just try commenting out the DRI sections in the xorg file since DRI isn't
being
activated

I tried this, and pressed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X -- no change.

c-use the "vesa" driver

If I simply change the 'Driver "ati"' line in xorg.conf to 'Driver
"vesa"' and press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X, then I can't get
beyond the graphical login screen.

However when booting with "linux xforcevesa" X starts and the problem
is gone, so this seems to confirm that this is a problem with the
driver. (Which I suspected, but it's nice to get confirmation.)

So thanks for mentioning that xforcevesa-options as I wasn't aware of that.

--
Markus Laire