Re: [gNewSense-users] Problems with GUI

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problems with GUI
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:00:16 -0400

That is an intersting point... Is the latest release, 1.1, still set
to use the microcode containing driver?

If I use the LiveCD and don't upgrade and I running non-free? And if I
dist-upgrade does a "working" system then "break"?

On 6/14/07, Markus Laire <address@hidden> wrote:
On 6/14/07, Dean Linkous <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: "Markus Laire" <address@hidden>
> Date:  Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:45:50 +0000
>
> >[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
> >(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
> >[dri] Disabling DRI.
>
> >Markus Laire
>
> Looks like it is trying to use the radeon module, which was removed due to
microcode. Did
> you change the driver in your xorg.conf file? If not, then I thought the
"ati" was the mach64
> module but maybe it loads whichever it thinks is the correct one.

I didn't do any changes as I started directly from the gNewSense-CD.

> After backing up your current xorg.conf file you could...
> a-tweak the xorg.conf file using some options, search the net for radeon
xorg.conf to get
> some ideas, here is one http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon
> b-just try commenting out the DRI sections in the xorg file since DRI isn't
being activated
> c-use the "vesa" driver

Can I do these tests when starting from gNewSense-CD?

--
Markus Laire