Re: [gNewSense-users] Scummvm games: software or data?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Scummvm games: software or data?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:28:46 +0100

"Mark H. Weaver" <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> I therefore claim that scummvm games are not merely data, but software.

Some data is software.  This should not surprise anyone.
Some programs are software, but software != programs.

Hold all software to the same standard of freedom.  We cannot rely on
distinguishing bitstream types for deciding our standard of freedom.
However, FSF does not seem to agree with this.  I don't see how
gNewSense can decide which software packages are held to which
standard of freedom without arbitrary rulings, like some in Ubuntu.

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.