Re: [gNewSense-users] Proprietary software in gNewSense - 'Beneath a Ste

From: Mark H. Weaver
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Proprietary software in gNewSense - 'Beneath a Steel Sky' and 'Flight of the Amazon Queen'
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 16:07:10 -0400

The Free Software Definition explicitly guarantees the right to sell copies.
A license which prohibits this right is not a free software license.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html says:

  "You may have paid money to get copies of free software, or you may have
  obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your copies,
  you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to sell
  copies."

Even if the prohibition against selling copies is removed, there are even more
serious problems with these packages, namely that they don't contain the
source code, i.e. the preferred form for editing.

For example, take a look at the "source" of flight-of-the-amazon-queen.
Outside of the debian directory, it consists of exactly two files:
"readme.txt", and a 54 megabyte binary file "queen.1c".  If I want to exercise
my freedom 1 to "study how the program works, and adapt it to [my] needs",
how am I to proceed?

Finally, I tried actually running flight-of-the-amazon-queen, and it started
by presenting an image containing the following notice:

  "Unauthorised copying, reproduction, adaptation, rental, public performance,
  broadcast or other exploitation of this product is strictly prohibited and
  constitutes a violation of applicable laws which may give rise to both civil
  liability and criminal penalties.

  "Copyright owned by Interactive Binary Illusions Pty. Ltd. (C) 1995
  Published by Warner Interactive Entertainment Ltd. 1995"

Best,
  Mark