Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:34:52 -0400

Not sure what you means by "a bunch of hex in the code". The only hex
I see in nouveau is initial device flagging, which is a SINGLE memory
address used to identify the card type. I think this is signifigantly
different than a block of executible code - essentially it's the
card's NAME - not code.

One of the goals of the nouveau project is to write totally free
driver; they specifically state that NOT creating binary blobs is an
official goal of the project.

If you mean the OFFICIAL (restricted) nVidia driver, oh. ;) Yeah,
that's the nature of non-Free stuff. RENouveau is designed to help
look at that hex, the memory addresses it affects and, by running
standardized tests, watch changes in the memory, and from that they're
writing a Libre driver.

And while I would also suggest Intel graphics right now because
they're the only fully functional AND Libre, the OP needs an AGP
expansion card, not integrated.