Re: [gNewSense-users] Questions about the GPL

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Questions about the GPL
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:46:49 -0400

Karl Goetz wrote:
> Guy Johnston wrote:
>> Hi, I've got some questions about the GPL and its source code requirements
>> which I was hoping
>> someone might be able to answer. If I give out regular binary gNewSense CDs
>> to people, without
>> offering them the source code, does that mean I'm violating the GPL for the
>> GPL-licensed software
>>

> IANAL, however i believe that if you don't change anything, you don't
> need to provide source.
> kk

IANALE, but that's not right.  Section 3 says, "You may copy and
distribute the Program (or a work based on it [...] provided that you
also a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code [...]"

However, I kind of interpret apt-get source as an implicit written offer
and don't worry about it.

Matt Flaschen