Re: [gNewSense-users] Rhythmbox mp3 support [solved]

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Rhythmbox mp3 support [solved]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:18:33 -0400

I don't believe this package itself is an issue. gstreamer does not
produce codecs, they are a media framework. It just allows gstreamer
programs to access codecs that are already present, in this specific
case, the mp3.

On 4/26/07, Michael Stevens <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 06:23:33PM -0400, Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> >Is there a way to enable mp3 support in Rhythmbox?  If so, how?
> >
> >xmms is able to play mp3s on my system, but I'd really like to try
> >Rythmbox.
> >
> I've stumbled on the solution:
>
> apt-get install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3
>
> This allows mp3 playback within Rhythmbox!

I think this package should be removed based on policy that gnewsense
will not include mp3 codecs, and have filed a relevant bug:

http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00081

but nothing's happened yet.

Michael