Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:26:33 +0300

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> However, gNewSense and debian have different approaches to freedom
> because apparently FSF considers only programs to be software (so does
> not apply the same definition of freedom to ebooks, for example)

Not precise. It is true that the GPL was written with primarily software
in mind, but:

"The GNU GPL can be used for general data which is not software, as long
as one can determine what the definition of “source code” refers to in
the particular case. ... "

ref: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html

The difference between the FSF and Debian in my opinion there stems from
the fact that they have completely different roles in our community. The
FSF is a "producer" of licenses. Debian is a "consumer" of licenses.

Finally, I'd like to ask: Is there actually a problem between the FSF
and Debian that this thread is discussing? If there isn't total
agreement between the FSF and Debian, is that even a bad thing? Is it
enough of a bad thing considering other threats to the freedoms of
people who use computers today?