Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses

From: Koh Choon Lin
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:17:34 +0800

For instance, there are binary blobs in the Linux kernel that is
licensed under the GPL, you can't reasonably modify these blobs, so it
violates freedoms 1 and 3 are violated, so gNewSense doesn't ship
them.

Please note that I am not criticizing gNewSense below. I do encourage
everyone to move to this platform instead of the newly release 7.04 of
Ubuntu.

In a way, gNewSense does not really look at the license of a software
before it is accepted. I mean, Linux is already GPLed but it is not
free enough for the project. Thus, I would advocate for a new
"definition" of free software from gNewSense which might be needed in
the near future, a la the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

Koh Choon Lin