Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:39:00 +0100

Matthew Flaschen <address@hidden> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Please rejoice that it was a one-release-only exception and the
> > project promised not to let the bug get any worse.
>
> They promised not to distribute proprietary software at all in main
> (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#note).  Which should I believe?

The most recent.  debian is membership-controlled, not a dictatorship,
so it may change its position.  The FSF can change its position too,
even over vital things like how to word the GPL, as new information
becomes available.  That's healthy.

If you spot an out-of-date-ness error in the web page (like that
section should probably at least mention the few limited exceptions
such as etch-firmware and FDL-no-invariants work), please file a bug
against package www.debian.org or at least mail debian-www.

> > Repeatedly flaming debian does not help.
>
> I haven't flamed anyone.

I didn't say otherwise, but I think I've seen names on this list who
have, so I'd like to discourage it here.  Even "look! you changed your
position slightly!" posts aren't really helpful: so we got it wrong
before - what do you expect us to do about it now?  Time travel?  Or fix
it as soon as we can, without shedding users to less free distributions?

I hope most gNS supporters know that the debian project and FSF agree
far more than they disagree.  On kernel firmwares, I think there's
broad agreement.

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.