Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:19:46 +0100

Matthew Flaschen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> > By the way, why does gNS not use Linux from Debian? [...]
>
> They have been known to compromise on this.  See
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2006/10/msg00541.html , among others.

debian does not have the luxury of starting from a clean disc and the
non-free firmware bug already existed in it.  The policy decision
http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_007
seemed the least harmful way of fixing the bug.  The other choices,
such as dropping too much hardware support in one go, and delaying the
next release, both seemed more harmful to free software, in my opinion.

Please rejoice that it was a one-release-only exception and the
project promised not to let the bug get any worse.  If gNewSense can
contribute back its kernel changes in a form that debian can use, that
would be a massive help.  Repeatedly flaming debian does not help.
It's a waste of your time and it makes it harder for free software
supporters who package the kernel.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef