Re: [gNewSense-users] more on Feisty gNewSense

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on Feisty gNewSense
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:06:18 +0100

On 4/15/07, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
Brian Brazil wrote:
> On 4/15/07, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> such:
>> >

>> > This seems like a good idea, but realistically people would really end
>> > up putting version-independent information (which almost everything
>> is)
>> > in the version sections.
>>
>> Thats true enough, but thats when moving pages comes into it (and trying
>> to have 'how to contribute' explaining such things).
>
> What about tagging information within a page as "tested with deltad",
> "tested with kdeltaf" etc.?

I like the solution, i just wonder about different releases with
different issues  - do we have a different section of the same page
('jump to' links at the top to get to them) or different pages for each?
hm
i might think about this.

>> Dapper
>> >
>> > I didn't think anything was supported. :)  Seriously, I wasn't
>> expecting
>> > to upgrade.  I already have /home on a separate partition (highly
>> > recommended) so I'm willing to install from scratch.
>> >
>> > Matt Flaschen
>>
>> Ubuntu support one release to the next, as of yet i dont think we have a
>> policy (only having one release). However, can we support a jump ubuntu
>> wont?
>
> I really doubt it.

Nows when it needs to be taken into consideration.

It needs to be taken into consideration upstream first. Shortcuts
taken due to you not having to support jumps in releases could be
quite tricky to undo. Workarounds on a system-by-stsytem basis should
be possible, but you'll need to know your way around ld.so, apt and
dpkg. The easiest way would probably end up being to do a Edgy
variant.

Brian