Re: [gNewSense-users] Newbie requires help with "winmodem"

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Newbie requires help with "winmodem"
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:04:50 -0400

GNU/Linux (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html), but welcome.

> I have installed gnewsense 1.0 from a distro but need help with my
> winmodem.

If you can afford it, I recommend buying an external modem.  It could
save you a lot of time.

> I have copied instructions & "scanModem.gz" from
> http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/first.html
> but am unable to follow command line procs.
> Do I use terminal to enter commands ?

Yes.  See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandlineHowto#head-735ee9ed388e7443efea1269a732e12ab59a0ad5
for how to open the terminal.

Then follow the instructions at http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/first.html.

First, determine the directory where you put scanModem.gz
For instance, it might be in /home/bernard .
Then type the following lines in the terminal:

cd /home/bernard
gunzip scanModem.gz
chmod +x scanModem
sudo ./scanModem

You will now have to enter your password.  Then, follow the rest of the
instructions on http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/first.html .

Tell me if you want me to clarify something.

Matthew Flaschen