Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:27:19 -0400

No "version" of Ubuntu will be supported by the FSF. When ALL versions
of Ubuntu contain only Free Software, I'm sure they'll support it in a
heartbeat.

I also don't see Canonical ever making that move.

I see the "Glossy GNU" as a way to keep Free Software developers on
the "Ubuntu Train". I don't see this as a bad thing because it's
understandable. Where my problem with Ubuntu come in is that they miss
the core ideas of Free Software in the first place. There are two
pillars of the Free Software idea... Using Free Software and SPREADING
Free Software. Because Canonical is willing to eliminate that second
part, i feel the "Don't get it." and as such, I don't trust them to
produce a Free distro.

Because the Ubuntu/Canonical goals are DIFFERENT than gNewSense's
goals, they'll never cancel the need for each other. And as long as
those differences exist, Ubuntu will NOT be my choice of distro.

-Kevin

On 4/13/07, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell <address@hidden> wrote:
Matthew Flaschen <address@hidden> writes:

> If Ubuntu makes GNUbuntu completely free (as in freedom), and uses
> separate repositories, I intend to use it.  It would be a bit ridiculous
> to use a redistribution that changes nothing but the artwork just so I
> can say they don't separately distribute proprietary software.  That's
> just needlessly fragmenting the community.
>
> However, for now gNewSense is definitely my best free option and I am
> very grateful for it.
>
> Matt Flaschen

I'll chime in and say that I agree with Mr. Flaschen here.

I'll go with, and try to improve the distro that makes the most sense to
use based on the following criterion:

First and foremost: Free as in "OKed by the FSF".

Second: Backed by an organization/corporation that is committed to not
being evil (and I don't mean Google).

Third: Technically meets my needs (this should not be a problem because
that essentially means: runs emacs and screen).

So far, I don't understand how this "Glossy GNU" (or whatever it will be
called) can possibly pass the first criterion if in order to support it
and use it I'll have to the non-free Launchpad.