Re: [gNewSense-users] more on Feisty gNewSense

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on Feisty gNewSense
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:23:51 -0400

Guy Johnston wrote:
>> I didn't think anything was supported. :)  Seriously, I wasn't expecting
>> to upgrade.  I already have /home on a separate partition (highly
>
> That's a very good idea which I haven't heard before. I'll probably use
> that in the future. The only way I'd thought of for keeping the home
> directory when reinstalling was to temporarily copy it onto some kind of
> removable media such as DVD, or onto a partition for another operating
> system if you have one. I suppose the only disadvantage with that
> technique is it means you have a smaller limited space for your home
> directory.

Well, the real issue is that you have to "partition" (so to speak :) )
your space up front.  I personally devote 50 GB to /home and 25 GB to /
.  That's working out fine, and I still more than 20 GB free on both  .
 I think a Logical Volume Manager could allow dynamic reallocation of
these partitions, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Matthew Flaschen