Re: [gNewSense-users] Choosing a distribution

From: rek2 GNU/Linux LO LO LO
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Choosing a distribution
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:19:51 -0400

Cesar, claro que se puede aprender *nix en gNewSense, sobre todo los comandos y lenguages de shell como bash, tcsh etc..
la idea es la misma.
lo mas parecido a un viejo unix hoy en dia es slackware y *BSD mas que nada por los scripts de inicio y la la situacion de los directorios pero obviamemte gNewSense te da garantia de que es completamente libre, La distribucion de GNU/Linux con la que mas se aprende es con Gentoo ya que tienes que hacer toda la instalacion y configuracion a mano, pero Gentoo por desgracia no es completamente libre.

un saludo
Chris F.
http://www.binaryfreedom.info

cesar gil perez wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have been using GNU/Linux as my only operating system for about a
year, testing various flavours in order to learn and decide which one
suits me more.
A few weeks ago I installed gNewSense in one of my  PC's partitions
and I am becoming more and more convinced that the real path is that
of GNU/FSF. The problem is that I have become quite used to distros as
Debian or Slackware in order to learn the basics of the UNIX-like
systems (I am studying on my own for the moment and planning to start
at the University next year) and I am not sure if installing and
working with one of the "only-free" distros, like gNewSense or the
others recommended by the FSF, is the best choice to learn the basics
and become an expert in *NIX systems. I mainly say this because those
distros have a quite simple graphical installer in order to facilitate
the installation to the end user and what really teach me most is just
the opposite, installing and tweaking in console-expert mode.

Well, any oppinions from experienced administrators and/or programmers
would be welcome.

Happy hacking   ;-)

PD: sorry for possible grammar mistakes. English in not my mother tongue.