Re: [gNewSense-users] [Fwd: Licensing of the Ubuntu Documentation Wiki]

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Fwd: Licensing of the Ubuntu Documentation Wiki] - Should gnewsense also change to CC-BY-SA
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:15:29 -0400

Kevin M. Dean wrote:
> The GNU Free Documentation License, in my opinion is a damn shady license.
>
> The Debian project (where my roots are) long declared the GFDL a
> non-Free license because it can contain invariant sections that limit
> Freedom 1 and 3.

A while ago, they issued a specific ruling that GFDL /was/ free without
invariant sections (http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001#outcome).

> My stance, now, is that the GFDL is sub-optimal, but in the scope of
> gNewSense, there isn't any doubt as to if it's Free.

I basically agree.  But the reason I was suggesting switching to
CC-BY-SA is because the Ubuntu doc wiki will still use that license (c.
1 month from now).  It's best to use as much of their content as we can
without sacrificing freedom.  I understand CC-BY-SA isn't necessary the
ideal doc license, but it is free and can soon give us access to the
Ubuntu wiki, which is definitely desirable.

Matthew Flaschen