Re: [gNewSense-users] why package X is not put into the supported base

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] why package X is not put into the supported base
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 22:38:50 +0930

Brian Brazil wrote:
> On 3/31/07, Paul O'Malley <address@hidden> wrote:
>> We did it with three items and that was all, that in itself is a cost we
>> could cover in terms of time etc.
>
> We have only added one package to the distro: Builder.
> This was a very low risk addition, with virtually no maintainince
> above what it otherwise needs.
>
> Any change to what Ubuntu provides has to be weighed against
> maintainability and supportability.
>
> Brian

(Hope i have this right!)

It looks like there's some confusion here -
Paul is talking about packages added to the base system that are not in
our upstream (including nethack, emacs, and bsd-games), brian is talking
about packages build/added to the distro that are not in upstream /at all/.

Our artwork package is probably another that counts as 'new for us'
rather then 'from upstream', but I'm not entirely sure if thats true.

Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom - http://www.gnewsense.org
Australian Ubuntu users team - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam
User of Debian, The Universal Operating System - http://www.debian.org