[gNewSense-users] Hardware Compatibility

From: Christopher Parker
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Hardware Compatibility
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:15:59 -0400

Hello,

During the Associate Membership meeting this past weekend, it was
announced that the Free Software Foundation will be using gNewSense to
help build a central database of hardware that has free drivers.

I've recently installed gNewSense 1.1 on my Gateway Solo 5300 laptop
(specs page at
http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo5300/8508144/8508144.htm
), replacing Ubuntu Edgy. So far, so good. However, I've noticed two
hardware issues:

1. The onboard Xircom modem does not work. Winmodem?
2. My D-Link WNA-2330 PCMCIA 802.11g card (Atheros chipset) does not
work. Big shocker there (proprietary madwifi HAL).

I've not yet been able to test the ACPI/APM functionality of my laptop.

I also noticed that the device manager in GNOME still has the Ubuntu
branding on it. I haven't had the chance to upgrade any packages yet,
so this might be a non-issue at this point for all I know.

Is there a more appropriate place to report findings such as these?
Should I be sending this info to John Sullivan directly?

Thank you.

--
Christopher C. Parker                 Associate Member #795
address@hidden             Free Software Foundation