Re: [gNewSense-users] Email address for Linus Torvalds?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Email address for Linus Torvalds?
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:11:25 -0400

Kevin M. Dean wrote:
> Linus has an ego?

Everyone has an ego, thank god.  I don't think Linus's is huge,
/despite/ having a kernel (and by semi-accidental extension, an entire
OS) named after him (which wasn't originally his idea, though he acquiesced)

> Hrm. We'll, it's a good thing our figurehead, Richard
> Stallman isn't a nutcase.

He's definitely a bit extreme sometimes, and I don't agree with him on
everything, but I respect him a lot.

> As to being apolitical, it's not possible. Inaction causes ripples just
> as great a actions. He might go on saying he's against it, but at the
> end of the day, he does nothing but make the most popular Free Software
> kernel better.

I do appreciate very much his (and others') work on the kernel, which
has helped realize a quality free OS.  However (I'm not sure if this is
your point), not caring about free software does somewhat support the
proprietary status quo.

> I don't agree with Richard Stallman about everything, and there are
> Linux kernel developers who don't care what Linus thinks. Linux is Free
> Software, even if it wasn't created to be. Neither was the Solaris
> kernel, or Java.

Yes, and Open Source software.  Linus happens not to agree ("Well, you
do have to realize that Linux has never been an FSF project, and
in fact has never even been a "Free Software" project.")

> As to why he began writing the kernel in the first place, or how well it
> worked out for him... Well, Eben Moglen has made a nice profit out of
> his name.

Has he really, compared to most lawyers?  I think both of them started
for non-financial reasons (again, maybe that's your point; it's late).

> I don't think going somethign for fame, or status, or money or
> some really cute girl are bad things. It's when you begin walking over
> and taking advantage of people that the pursuit of those things becomes
> a problem.

Exactly, which is why I'm glad to give money to free software developers.

> Anyway, it's the voice of the million little people that matter more
> than the shouts of one man.

Agreed.

Matt Flaschen