Re: [gNewSense-users] help!! wireless misery with Linksys WUSB54G ver.4

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] help!! wireless misery with Linksys WUSB54G ver.4
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 02:25:22 +0000

andrei raevsky wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> Once, only one time, the Linksys WUSB54G USB wireless adaptor worked on
> my computer with gNewSense.  Ever since, every time I try it freezes up
> the entire system (so I suspect a kernel panic).  The only time it
> worked I used ndiswrapper and the win32 drivers, but now it does not
> work with that either.  This particularly frustrating since the Linksys
> WUSB54G is recommended by the FSF are working with free software (and
> since they use gNewSense, that means it should work on my updated
> gNewSense also).
>
> My kernel is (according to 'uname -a'):
>
> Linux gNewSenseBox2 2.6.15-28-386 #1 PREEMPT Fri Feb 9 20:06:14 UTC 2007
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> The version of the Linksys WUSB54G I use is ver. 4
>
> Also - I do not have wireless at home so I can only test when I go out.
> And since each re-boot takes about 5min on my old machine, you can
> imagine how time consuming trying to fix this is.
>
> Also - I tried with Ubuntu 6.06 to see what would happen.  It freezes
> *exactly* at the same time as gNewSense does: I open the network
> configuration interface, It sees the adapter and it loads a driver, then
> I press 'activate connection' and after 1-2 seconds everything freezes.
>
> I really, really would appreciate some step by step advice to make this
> @^#%$!! device to work!
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers,
>
> Andrei

My system also usually freezes when I try to use the GNOME configuration
interface. I recommend trying to get it working using the command line
programmes (iwlist, iwconfig, iwpriv, etc.) first. They seem to be more
reliable and less likely to cause a crash. The GNOME interface also
doesn't seem to support WPA which I always want to use (and the KDE
equivalent doesn't seem to either).

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.