Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem playing FLAC files in Amarok

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem playing FLAC files in Amarok
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:18:20 +0000

Andrew Wigglesworth wrote:
> On Sunday 18 March 2007 20:43, Guy Johnston wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't play FLAC files with Amarok in gNewSense 1.1. There's an error
>> which reads "There is no audio channel!". I can play them in Totem and
>> VLC, and I could play them in Amarok in Kubuntu 6.06 and 6.10. Does
>> anyone know what might be the cause of this problem? The default engine
>> for Amarok is xine, and I expect it's a problem with that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Guy
>

> Yes, I get exactly the same problem playing Flac audio files in Amarok (gns
> 1.1 as well, of course).  Xine itself and Kaffeine, which is using Xine, both
> play the files fine; which would indicate to me that it's some sort of
> problem with Amarok itself, or the way it connects with Xine.
>
> I've played around with the issue (not to any great depth though) and haven't
> seen a way around it.  The issue is still there with the newer Amarok version
> from gNewSense backports.
>
> btw.  there is an unrelated problem with Xine generally, in that it does not
> play 24bit Flac files.  Or, rather, it does, but they just sound like static
> noise.

I've started a topic about this on the forum at
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ForumMain/ProblemPlayingFLACFilesWithAmarok.
I've found out that I only get this problem with the newer version in
the Backports repository. Here's what I wrote on the forum:

I've realised that this problem only happens with the updated version of
Amarok in the Backports repository, which is version 1.4. I've now
downgraded it to version 1.3 which is in the main repository (when it
was called amaroK) and FLAC files work fine. Still, I'd like to be able
to get them working in the new version. I might file it as a bug report.
I've also found out that it's not a problem with the xine engine, as
FLAC files work fine in the xine graphical program, and the xine version
of Totem, which both use that engine.

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.