Re: [gNewSense-users] Konqueror asks the user to install nonfree softwar

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Konqueror asks the user to install nonfree software
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:52:27 +0000

andrei raevsky wrote:
> isn' there a FSF approved Flash version out there, maybe in beta status?
>
> On 3/21/07, *Guy Johnston* <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I've noticed that when you visit a web page with Flash animations in
>     Konqueror, a message appears which reads "No plugin found for 'Shockwave
>     Flash Media'. Do you want to download one from www.macromedia.com?
>     <http://www.macromedia.com?>". As
>     this is offering to install proprietary software, I think that
>     should be
>     removed in gNewSense. I assume this wouldn't have the same trade mark
>     problems as doing that in Firefox, because as far as I know the KDE
>     people don't demand that you get their permission to modify Konqueror
>     without changing the name. Should I write a bug report for this?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Guy
>
>     --
>     Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
>     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.
>     Don't get Windows Vista, get GNU/Linux - see http://www.getgnulinux.org.

Yep, it's called Gnash, and it's in the beta stage as far as I know.
It's in the repositories for Ubuntu Edgy, and it works pretty well for
simple animations (but it doesn't work for anything like Youtube yet).
Is there a community repository anywhere for gNewSense which has it in?
My point with Konqueror is that it asks to install the official
Macromedia (now Adobe) plugin, which is proprietary. It'd be good if it
could ask to install Gnash instead, from the repositories or maybe the
official website.