Re: [gNewSense-users] how can our community best support gNewSense?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] how can our community best support gNewSense?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:00:28 +1030

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Kevin Dean wrote:
>> I admire your passion.
>>
>> There's one huge problem that I see with gNewSense right now, and I've
>> spoken with Paul about how I might be able to help fix this.
>>
>> Simply, gNewSense isn't yet ready to be the showcase that we all want it
>> to be.
>>
>> There are things that still remain to be done before gNewSense is
>> fully functional, let alone exceptional. For instance, we don't have a
>> Server install CD, and doing a "Lightweight" install on a laptop of
>> older machine is not yet possible at this moment.
>>
>> Documentation is one thing that gNewSense lacks now, and anyone
>> willing to help write some would do a lot.
>
> Is it really necessary for us to abandon all of Ubuntu's documentation?
>  They do have a dedicated doc team, and it's freely licensed, so I think
> it could be a good starting point.
>
> Matthew Flaschen

No, Ubuntus doco will (in about 50% of places) be fine for gns. much of
the 50% is removing howtos re non-free btw.
The main issue i was having (i had a quick look) was the way the
doco+firefox+something else which i forget were integrated. it makes it
hard/impossible to simply gen- the docs package like the others (from
what i see).
I dont seem to have the links i gathered about this (download the source
package, look in the /docs/ dir, /debian/rules etc for pointers).

I even have a checkout of the ubuntu docs unprocessed (from svn) to see
what i can do, but havent had time to check it out properly.

If someone has time to take this on, tell me. i'd rather not duplicate
work when i get time again.

Info for those interested in the svn:

address@hidden:~/MyDownloads/UbuntuDapperDocsSVN$ svn up ; svn info ;\
du -hs .
At revision 3953.
Repository Root: https://docteam.ubuntu.com/repos
Repository UUID: 1e033ed4-87e8-0310-8703-d68c7bbd86c9
Revision: 3953
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: mdke
Last Changed Rev: 3442
Last Changed Date: 2006-11-17 08:40:06 +1030 (Fri, 17 Nov 2006)

189M    .

Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom - http://www.gnewsense.org
Australian Ubuntu users team - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam