Re: [gNewSense-users] Show us the Code?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Show us the Code?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:06:21 -0500

Kevin M. Dean wrote:
> In a world where we are confidant in the legitimacy of what we use, a
> simple "STFU" to FUD-makers is more than enough.

That's exactly the point of the poorly named "Show us the Code"  If you
read the site, they're basically saying "Shut up, or tell us exactly
which patents we're infringing".

 Honestly, I kind of
> look forward to the day MS actually sues a Linux distributor. Either
> they'll win or lose, either way they'll have to shut up. And I'm sure
> they'll lose.

Well, no.  They can just pick a weak patent, create more FUD, then if
they lose they still have the whole trove to fall back on.

> I really don't see a difference between Apple and Microsoft; regardless
> of how they do it, both have very clearly opposed user freedom.

I agree, but I think sometimes we have to prioritize our battles.

>  But at the same time, I'm not a Microsoft basher. There was a saying I
> heard once that "Linux users use Linux because they hate Microsoft. BSD
> Users use BSD because they love Unix." I oppose companies that insist on
> non-Free software; Microsoft is merely one company doing so, I don't
> give them any special weight. *Every company* holding software patents
> is a potential (and potentially crippling) threat to Free Software.

Well, not necessarily.  Some organizations like Red Hat or the OIN use
patents to protect free software.  I still think *everyone* (even
proprietary companies) would be better off without software patents in
the long run.

Matthew Flaschen