Re: [gNewSense-users] Show us the Code?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Show us the Code?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:16:02 -0500

Kevin M. Dean wrote:
> Ringo, I'm sure your intent with that was good, but I kind of find it
> ironic you picked both global warming and smoking. I disagree with the
> concept of global warming.

What does that mean?  You don't think global warming is occuring?

 Up until 3 weeks ago, I was also a smoker.

I hope you still agree smoking causes health problems.

> Apple's Mac OS X is *just* as restrictive as the Microsoft EULA. Apple
> probably holds as many "software patents" as Microsoft does.

Yes, but Apple isn't using FUD to try to intimidate GNU/Linux users.
When's the last time you heard them say GNU/Linux infringed their "IP".
 That's the difference.

> to *everyone* meeting those circumstances, we not only look like
> hypocrits, but we're also damaging our own mission.

The circumstances are not the same.  Both are proprietary, but only one
is making infringement claims.
> I personally think our collective energy would be better spent educating
> people as to why broad patents are a problem, rather than worrying about
> Microsoft's (or any one company's) misuse of them.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Matthew Flaschen