Re: [gNewSense-users] YouTube

From: Dale
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] YouTube
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:39:54 +1030

02-12-06 There is now version 0.1-1 of this script. It has been
updated with some security features to prevent the possibility of a
local attack using symlinks. If you installed version 0.1 then it is
recommended that you update to this new script version.

Installation.

There's not really much installation needed.

First, you need to make sure that you have the ffmeg and ffmpeg2theora
packages installed:

       sudo apt-get install ffmpeg ffmpeg2theora

Then all you need to do is to copy the file "ytplay" onto your
computer and make it executable.

Personally, I copied the file into my /usr/local/bin directory, so
that it can be invoked from any directory. Use the command:

       sudo cp ytplay /usr/local/bin

then make it executable:

       sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/ytplay

Now you can use the ytplay command where ever you are in Terminal.
Usage.

It is very simple to use this script.

To play a Youtube video, go to the page where the video is on
Youtube.com and copy it's URL.

       ytplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?code_from_youtube

To replay a video that you have just played, use:

       ytplay replay

to save the Youtube video to your desktop, use the following

       ytplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?code_from_youtube -o
file_type file_name

File type is either flv or theora. File name is what you would like to
call the downloaded file. You do not need to add the .flv or .ogg
extentions as these will be added automatically.

Unfortunately, the Youtube web pages may change their format at any
time meaning that this script will have to be adapted.

Download ytplay: http://www.ecadre.co.uk/files/ytplay