Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense Packaging Policy

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense Packaging Policy
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:04:21 +0200

"Kevin M. Dean" <address@hidden> writes:

> Firstly, this is my first submission to the list, forgive (and correct
> me) if I err.
>
> Secondly, has there been any discussion about the gNewSense packaging
> policy?

To the best of my understanding, the "packaging policy" consists
primarily of removing non-free software from Ubuntu. Managing a parallel
system of packages would be a lot of work for such a small distro such
as gNewSense.

So I think that the current situation has less to do with a policy
decision and more to do with the question of how to provide a truly Free
operating system based on Ubuntu at an effort level which is sustainable
within the current resources.

Only the people running the show can say if this is really true or not.

As a postscript: If someone were to build what looked like a reliable,
long range apt repo with only Free software synchronised with gNewSense
and complementing it, I'd gladly add that to my sources.list.