Re: [gNewSense-users] Parts of GNU/Linux which aren't parts of GNU

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Parts of GNU/Linux which aren't parts of GNU
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:32:43 +0000

Guy Johnston <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] Does anyone know which parts
> of a standard GNU/Linux system aren't also part of the official GNU
> system, apart from the Linux kernel (not including applications which
> aren't part of the actual operating system)? The only others I know of
> are any desktop environments and window managers other than GNOME which
> people use, because GNOME is an official part of GNU.

That's not quite right IMO.  GNUstep is also an official part of GNU.
http://www.gnustep.org/

OTTOMH, one finds BSD-based psproc and mail or mailx tools on most
GNU/Linux systems and they aren't official GNU.  OpenSSL is another
pretty common (and mildly irritatingly-licensed) non-GNU part, but
GNUTLS can do much of the same work.

Hope that helps,
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, trainer, koha dev,