Re: [gNewSense-users] CD based app installer - feedback wanted

From: Dean Linkous
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] CD based app installer - feedback wanted
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:09:00 -0800

Don't know, wasn't planning on using it. :) Mostly use apt, dpkg itself if
needed to get ugly on something. All dependencies are handled the same as apt
would be - since it is apt handling everything. I would have to say it is more
of a hack using apt than any real *new* installer. More of a browseable apt-cd
with a install button to call apt. Did that make sense?

Oh, I think synaptic is as easy as it gets. Others seem to think it is
complicated or should I say confusing. I honestly do not think it could be much
simpler myself as far as a GUI installer. But then again I am confused why
people just do not use apt. It doesn't get any simpler than 'apt-get install
package' does it? :)

I also thought about working on a nice browsable repository and then just
giving them the packagename and showing them how to use apt to install it.
Teaching them how to fish maybe???

Maybe both?? :)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

GET FREE 5GB ONLINE STORAGE - Safely store your documents, photos and music
online!
Visit http://www.inbox.com/storage to find out more!