Re: [gNewSense-users] combining gNewSense and unofficial Debian repos -

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] combining gNewSense and unofficial Debian repos - risky?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:48:27 -0500

"andrei raevsky" <address@hidden> writes:

> I understand your concerns, and I fully share them.  My intention was
> to have the option to aquire those libraries which, while free, cannot
> be distributed by Debian/Ubuntu/gNewSense for legal reasons, not
> getting proprietary stuff.
>
> I apologize - I should have made that clear in my first mail.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrei

Moving completely to gNS is a transition more or less.  A compromise
is to run a Debian virtual machine, say in qemu or virtualbox.  You
are suggesting multimedia activities involving Debian, and from what I
recall virtualbox may be better here.

As you suggest, the reasons to use Debian may not involve nonfree
software.  Indeed, development of some free software projects, such as
GNU Hurd, is still much easier in some other distributions.  Of course,
even running nonfree software is ethical in the case of developing a
free replacement for it, as the GNU project has always maintained.

Thanks,
Bake