Re: [gNewSense-users] combining gNewSense and unofficial Debian repos -

From: Andrew Wigglesworth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] combining gNewSense and unofficial Debian repos - risky?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:45:21 +0000

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 19:10, andrei raevsky wrote:
> I was just wondering whether there is a risk for the stability of my
> system to combine the following apt sources:
>
> deb http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltad main universe
> deb-src http://us.archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltad main universe
>
> deb http://us.security.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltad-security main
> universe deb-src http://us.security.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/
> deltad-security

Hi,

Sadly, the risk to the stability of your system is as nothing compared to the
fact that the software repository you refer to is riddled with proprietary
(non-free) malware.  Therefore, it cannot be recommended in any way.

gNewSense is a 100% Free Software operating system.  That is as in freedom of
speech, or freedom of expression.

I don't wish to be patronising, but I think it would do you good to have a
deeper look at the gNewSense website along with those at:

http://gnu.org
http://www.fsf.org/

and read some of the essays and reports there regarding free software and the
philosophy behind it.

You can play and record all sorts of Free "media" on gNewSense; I do both of
these myself just about every day.  It is a powerful system and the more you
use it, I'm sure, the more it will surprise you with its versatility.

However, the use of proprietary media formats/codecs limits all sorts of
freedoms, both artistic and those enshrined in law.

Foe example. If you wish to distribute MP3's commercially then you must pay a
levy.  To use certain proprietary audio and video formats then you are forced
to use particular software or hardware and pay a tax to companies who's only
interest is how much money they can make out of exploiting artists and
restricting your freedoms.

Digital Restrictions Management takes this a stage further by treating us all
as criminals who must be punished before the fact.

So, no, this repository is not compatible with gNewSense.

--
Andrew

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html