Re: [gNewSense-users] kind of off-topic, but not completely: ripping DVD

From: andrei raevsky
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] kind of off-topic, but not completely: ripping DVDs with gNewSense?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:09:36 -0500

Thoggen seems to be doing ok (it is ripping a DVD for me right now).

Needless to say, I ONLY copy DVDs for fully legitimate, legal, backup reasons, only for my private use, and only because the original DVDs can get scratched.  And, of course, we all do the same :-))

Thanks for the pointers!

On 2/12/07, Dean Linkous <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/11/2007 11:17:47 PM, andrei raevsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a way to rip commercial DVDs with a gNewSense
> application.
> Right now, I use VLC to watch DVDs (I have all the libraries needed
> to watch
> commercial/encrypted DVDs) and dvdbackup to back them up, but I would
> like
> to find a way to take a commercial DVD and make it into an mpeg or
> avi file.

Thoggen (already suggested) is what I use to create something I keep on
the computer to watch.

As far as DVD....that is a mess....That is all I can say or else the
men-in-black will arrive at my door. I do make copies of my DVDs for
fair-use only and I only backup the main feature. I have a couple
little (bad) scripts and use those along with some manual futzing it
does just fine. As far as I know, all the tools I use are free
software. If they are not free then just ignore me and dont tell me
please. :) Look into the following packages/tools:
mjpegtools
subtitleripper
transcode
(not sure if these are available in gNewSense or not)

hope this helps a little...