[gNewSense-users] proprietary formats handled by free software and a GNO

From: andrei raevsky
Subject: [gNewSense-users] proprietary formats handled by free software and a GNOME & KDE question
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:47:57 -0500

Greetings friends,

I noticed something strange.  While VLC can play wmv files and XMMS
can play mp3, the gNewSense version of k3b cannot burn mp3 files into
an audio CD, it just says "insupported file format".

Does anyone have an idea why this is?  Is thee no free encoder which
allows one not to generate mp3, but to convert mp3s back into wav
format and burn them to an audio CD?

Also, while I have recently switched to Gnome, there are two KDE
programs which I really like: Konqueror and k3b.  However, what I do
not like about them is their silly system alarm bells (the "crashing
glass" sound is particularly offensive).  In KDE I could just disable
the system sound (or whatever that was called).  But how do I tell
these KDE apps to shut up in Gnome?!

Cheers,

Andrei