Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting Microsoft Vista?

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting Microsoft Vista?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:14:00 -0800 (PST)

Max Moritz Sievers <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't know if is it really a good thing but it is true: You can play and
> create Ogg Theora on Windows and Mac OS. If these authorities like the BBC or
> the EU would just only provide Ogg Theora videos this format and codec would
> be known by much more people. Then someone shoots a new Paris Hilton video
> and encodes it exclusively in Ogg Theora and very soon most people will be
> able to play it.

MIT OCW had this to say: "When a stable and widespread open-source streaming
format becomes available, we will consider implementing that video format on
our site." (Well, they could do something about the "widespread" part
themselves but I don't know about the "stable".)

So, in case we don't get Paris Hilton on our side as you suggest :-), I have a
question:

Do you know about an alternative to the RealMedia streaming format that is
usable by large sites such as MIT or BBC? I found VideoLan, but I have no idea
how good, stable, or widespread it is. Are there any noteworthy sites that use
it for streaming video already?

Kind Regards,
M.F.

Get your own web address.