[gNewSense-users] Power

From: Peter Rock
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Power
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:16:42 +0100

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:01:58 +0200
> From: Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting
>       Microsoft Vista?
> To: address@hidden

> Right, what is happening with Google in the past years is what was
> happening with Microsoft in the early 90's.  The only difference is
> that many people, unfortunately even from our community, don't
> recognize the enemy (probably because their vision is blurred by
> Google's "community-friendly" campaigns).  Using Google's "services"
> only gives them more power.

I use gmail and blogger. Giving someone power is not necessarily a bad
thing in itself, but I'm getting the impression you feel that in this
case it is. Perhaps you are right. Could you explain why using gmail and
blogger is a poor choice for me?

I'm considering moving my online journal
(http://gnuosphere.blogspot.com) as I'm not impressed with Google's
abuse of power. However, I currently have a Microsoft mouse plugged into
my computer but will never use any non-free Microsoft software on my
machine. I suppose it can be argued that by using a Microsoft product I
"give them more power", but I'm not so sure. Even though I use gmail and
blogger, I don't install any non-free software on my machine nor do I
post things like embedded Flash videos on my site thus encouraging
readers to install Flash.

> However, the freedom issues should not be confused with the privacy
> issues.  Those are separate isssues.  The site admin who operates your
> mail can always do whatever he likes with your information (in most
> cases).

This is true. I am aware of this but don't feel a desire to hide
anything from anyone in my gmail account. But yes, if I need privacy I
would use something other than gmail.