Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting Microsoft Vista?

From: Timothy Musson
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Off Topic] Will you be getting Microsoft Vista?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:41:26 +1300

Guy Johnston wrote:
> At one point I also asked [the BBC] to stop being so biased towards
> the big media companies when talking about copyright infringement, and
> to stop calling it "piracy", considering that they're supposed to be
> neutral, and they get most of their money from the TV Licence, which
> is unrelated to copyright. They responded to that one, saying they'll
> keep calling it that, because the dictionary, the media, the "pirates"
> themselves and the law call it that. It's fair enough that's in the
> dictionary, but I'm pretty doubtful that many lawyers and judges use
> that kind of smear word.

Here in New Zealand, newspaper and television news reports often use the
term "copyright theft" instead of "copyright infringement". (I'm
guessing it's because they get a lot of copyright-related stories fed to
them by the dishonestly named Federation Against Copyright Theft.)

Hrmpf. From now on, I'm going to get off my bum and start complaining to
TV/papers whenever I hear/see it.

Tim
--
address@hidden