[gNewSense-users] The name

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: [gNewSense-users] The name
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 18:56:50 +0000

Hi, I was just wondering where the name gNewSense actually comes from. I
assume it has the 'gnu' sound (at least for some accents - others, such
as us in the UK say 'nyu' instead of 'nu' for 'new') because it's a
GNU/Linux distribution, specifically following the ideals of the GNU
project. I also assume it has something to do with the word 'nuisance'
as it sounds like that, and I've read that it used to be known as
'Gnuisance'. But I think it's a bit of an awkward name, and might put
off newcomers to GNU/Linux, particularly with the small case 'g' and
capitals in the middle. Why was that name chosen instead of 'Gnuisance'?

Thanks,

Guy

PS. Does anyone know if there's any plans by anyone to make a variation
with KDE installed by default, in a similar way to Kubuntu. And if there
is, is it called something like KNewsense?

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files. Please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.