Re: [gNewSense-users] graphics resolution

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] graphics resolution
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 15:07:33 +1030

Bill McConnaughey wrote:
In my first successful gnusense-1.0 installation the screen was in
high-resolution mode during installation, and (I'm pretty sure) the Gnome
screen was high-rez when I booted the finished disk.  The second time
around (on a different hard drive), the installation screen and Gnome
screen were 640x480 and no other choice was offered under
System--Preferences--Screen Resolution.  And now when I boot the first
hard drive I can only get 640x480.  This remains true after shutting down
and connecting the Windows disk and booting that (it gets its normal
high-rez screen).  Any ideas on what got changed?

was it the same pc? and was it the same install cd? same video card?

On the root login issue, I found that the password that I gave for the user account does work with the sudo command, but does not work to log in a root session. However, I did "sudo passwd root" from my user login, changed the root password, and now can log in as root.

i dont get it... on first root login, you found you cant login as root with your password? :|

This is all somewhat confusing, and it might be a good idea to make sure sysadmins know that the user account that is set up at installation can give root access.

Its only confusing if you dont get the concept of loging in as user and running sudo.
:)

Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom - http://www.gnewsense.org
Australian Ubuntu users team - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam