Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?

From: Anthony Patarini
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 06:25:29 -0900

 So, should we be using the GNOME Epiphany browser as a matter of
course instead of Firefox?
You can, but it's really not necessary. As it stands, the Firefox that ships with gNewSense is 100% Free Software (please correct me if I'm mistaken). However, it still links to nonfree plugins when they are needed to view certain content, and the Mozilla trademark issue may prevent us from calling it "Firefox". Brian has already said that he considers Firefox fully free right now, so it's not really a high priority issue right now. (That's my understanding of it, anyway.)
(Mind you, I did I read something online about GNOME being linked with
Novell, who as we all know have done a deal at the crossroads).
GNOME is an official part of the GNU Project, so we really don't have to worry about them siding with Microsoft in any sort of secret deals. Some major GNOME contributors work at Novell but that's about it.