Re: [gNewSense-users] Installation problems

From: Dennis Kibbe
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Installation problems
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:30:40 -0700

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:07:14 +0530
Vidyadhar Gadgil <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 21:15 -0800, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> >
> > Have been trying to install gnewsense 1.0, but it reaches the 'disk
> > partitioning' step (5 of 6) and refuses to move on. Maybe it's because
> > of RAM, but I have 256 MB, shouldn't that be enough? What could be the
> > problem, and is there any solution?
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Tell us a little about your hardware - CPU?, video, HDDs (RAID perhaps??),
> > desktop? or laptop?  Without knowing what you are installing onto we can't
> > help.
>
> Dear Dennis,
>
> Sorry, didn't think of that. It's a desktop, Celeron 1.7M, two HDDs (40
> GB and 80GB), monitor Samsung 45Bn. My disks are already partitioned and
> I have Fedora Core 5 (which is my regular OS), Mandriva 2006 and Windows
> 98 (okay, okay, I know, but I do need it sometimes -- I have to earn a
> living after all and need some Windows programmes), which I use only
> very occasionally. I am quite proficient at installation, and have
> installed many distros. over time to try them out. At Step 5 of
> gnewsense installation, I always check the "Partition disks manually" --
> either of the other options would create havoc on my already nicely
> partitioned disks. That's the point from where the thing refuses to move
> forward.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dennisk
> >
> --
> Question everything -- Karl Marx

Hi Vidyadhar,

Be sure to copy this to the list as well so others can help and benefit.

Does gpartd not start when you go the manual route?

Which HDD do you want to install on?

It might be helpful to unplug the HDD you don't want for now.

I assume that both HDDs are connected to the motherboard and not a controller
card.

Dennisk
--
Phoenix Linux Users Group