Re: [gNewSense-users] The mp3 issue

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] The mp3 issue
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:44:34 +0000

Daniel Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's true that Blag is listed as a Free gnu/linux distro right here:
> http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions
> and they include mp3 support, so I think the key issue here is "as long
> as the patent holders don't stop you" [...]

Last I knew, Blag was from Brixton, England and software patents are
explicitly invalid in England.  Here's the law:

  (2) It is hereby declared that the following (among other things) are
  not inventions for the purposes of this Act, that is to say, anything
  which consists of - [...]
  (c) a scheme, rule or method for performing a mental act, playing a
  game or doing business, or a program for a computer; [...]

  from The Patents Act 1977 (and amending legislation)
  http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/pa77.htm#s1

Unfortunately, that doesn't make it free software globally, but that's
a bug in other countries' laws, not the software.

Hope that explains,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.