[gNewSense-users] (no subject)

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:54:53 -0500

But there are some real free software issues about Firefox.  The
biggest one is that it is set up to offer downloads of non-free
plug-ins from Mozilla's own site.
What do we want to do about this?

My 2 cents:  Not much.

If we could warn people that might be nice.  But don't block them,
otherwise we just trampled all over Freedom 0.

It'd be nice if MoFo put something about the license for a plugin on
their plugins page, but I do not think it'll happen.

We could alternately run our own plugins repository, perhaps with the
help of Debian and GNU/FSF and anyone else planning to use Iceweasel.
That would require some coordination but it might just be the best.

Just because everything about gNewSense is going to be
free-as-in-freedom doesn't mean it's going to be used that way. (Lots
of folk on the Ubuntu forums run those non-free installer programs on
first boot. I am not one of them.)  It doesn't make sense for a distro
that's advertising its freeness, but the programs can be used for any
purpose.

(Sorry for the late hit.  I'm Broam on IRC, and I'm going to be
working with Karl Goetz on licensing. Oh, and I'm a real cynic, but
you got that much already.  And I'm really, really glad to be here.)