Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox in search of a solution revisited [long ma

From: rek2 gnu/linux
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox in search of a solution revisited [long mail]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:42:27 -0500

Palle Raabjerg escribió:
Obviously, since this is no big distro (yet!), the number of packages that needs to be maintained by gNewSense should be kept at a minimum. I am also for adding IceWeasel, and perhaps gnash, and taking out Firefox. Ubuntu carries no IceWeasel debs. Does Debian maintain a Free IceWeasel package? If so, is this something we could copy/steal/hog in some way? ;)
yes, of course and really like you say it just a matter of one person to download the src make the changes we agree upon on and make a .deb package. one package or lets say 10 packages on gnewsense to maintain is not a big thing for a start..

(On that note, would a "hack", like adding firefox-bin symlinks pointing to the iceweasel binary to the package be acceptable? Any other program which then wants firefox specifically, gets IceWeasel instead. It's not extremely "nice", but it would probably work well enough).

I agree with this only in part... I don't think it will be nice of us to just point it to the package.. instead will be much better to give a pop up msg or some kind of... "since you decided to use a completly free software distribution of the GNU/Linux system, we have done bla, bla, bla, and consider you will agree with us to use bla bla bla.. etc" that will be a bit much nicer.. if we just point them to another program when they expecting something else looks weird :-) is like are trying to dictate them what they should use with out even telling them. just my opinion.

If it's not a lot of work, I might volunteer to maintain it. But I'll need to learn a thing or two about creating deb packages, then. Amazingly, in all the time I've used Debian, I never got around to doing that. :)

creating .deb packages ir very simple, search for the debian new maintainers guide.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html

Thanks for your interest.
Chris Fernandez```

- Palle

Paul O'Malley wrote:
rek2GNU/Linux wrote:
Hi Paul, I will say let's go with iceweasel, add gnash flash plug in and other free software add ons.
why reinvent the wheel? but that just me.

Chris F.

Hi Chris,

It seems that I was not obvious enough ;-)

how?

(that was the whole point of my mail)

Cheers

Paul