Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox in search of a solution revisited [long ma

From: Palle Raabjerg
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox in search of a solution revisited [long mail]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:07:46 +0100

Obviously, since this is no big distro (yet!), the number of packages that needs to be maintained by gNewSense should be kept at a minimum. I am also for adding IceWeasel, and perhaps gnash, and taking out Firefox. Ubuntu carries no IceWeasel debs. Does Debian maintain a Free IceWeasel package? If so, is this something we could copy/steal/hog in some way? ;) Otherwise, I find the most obvious solution would be to find someone who is willing to compile, package and maintain a package of the GNU IceWeasel. It doesn't sound to me like more than a one-man job, unless we need to do lots of integration, apart from just maintaining it. (On that note, would a "hack", like adding firefox-bin symlinks pointing to the iceweasel binary to the package be acceptable? Any other program which then wants firefox specifically, gets IceWeasel instead. It's not extremely "nice", but it would probably work well enough).

If it's not a lot of work, I might volunteer to maintain it. But I'll need to learn a thing or two about creating deb packages, then. Amazingly, in all the time I've used Debian, I never got around to doing that. :)

- Palle

Paul O'Malley wrote:
rek2GNU/Linux wrote:
Hi Paul, I will say let's go with iceweasel, add gnash flash plug in and other free software add ons.
why reinvent the wheel? but that just me.

Chris F.

Hi Chris,

It seems that I was not obvious enough ;-)

how?

(that was the whole point of my mail)

Cheers

Paul