Re: [gNewSense-users] ipw2200 is free software?

From: Dennis Kibbe
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ipw2200 is free software?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:11:30 -0700

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:49 +0100, Vim Visual wrote:
> what I don't understand is why people prefer blobs to reversed
> drivers, like OpenBSD is doing... for your card you'd probably just
> have to adapt the iwi driver released by OpenBSD in their latest
> version (4.0)

Firmware is still required and it isn't free.

From the manpage:

These firmware files are not free because Intel refuses to grant distri-
     bution rights without contractual obligations.  As a result, even though
     OpenBSD includes the driver, the firmware files cannot be included and
     users have to download these files on their own.  The official person to
     state your views to about this issue is address@hidden

Dennisk