[gNewSense-users] RTL8185 Wireless Driver

From: Anthony Patarini
Subject: [gNewSense-users] RTL8185 Wireless Driver
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 04:16:57 -0900

Hi all,

I'm running gNewSense on a Gateway MX3414 Laptop, and most things work great (well, no sound or 3D, but those are problems on Ubuntu as well). The one difference between Ubuntu and gNewSense that I've seen, however, is that my wireless card isn't recognized by gNewSense. The chipset is the realtek 8185 and I'm trying to get the rtl818x driver from http://rtl818x.sourceforge.net/ installed. The driver is completely Free (GPL with no firmware) but the installation docs are lean at best. I've managed to get past the "make" stage easy enough (just needed kernel headers) but when I attempt to run the ifup-wlan0 script I get a "wlan0 No such device" error. There is mention that I need to edit my /etc/network/interfaces file, but nothing is really said as to WHAT needs to be added. I'm sure I'm just missing a simple step due to lack of experience, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.